Can I get paid for excess solar electricity that I’ve produced?

In short, you can be paid but it’s not worth it.  It’s better to size your system close to what you use.

In October 2009, Governor Schwarzenegger signed AB 920 into law which required utilities to pay you any excess at the end of each 12-month true-up billing period.

At the end of a customer’s 12-month billing period, any balance of surplus electricity is trued-up at a separate fair market value, known as net surplus compensation (NSC). The NSC rate is based on a 12-month rolling average of the market rate for energy, or approximately $0.04 to $0.05 per kilowatt-hour (kWh)

Quote extracted from

You can also view the PG&E website video that explains Net Surplus Compensation here.

Leave a Reply Text

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *